One of the most important things you can do is contact government officials and the key stakeholders responsible for approving the pipeline. While some may tell you there is nothing they can do to prevent the pipeline, there are many ways they can help you — facilitating meetings with important stakeholders, filing resolutions, getting answers, identifying other people or resources that might be able to help.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Explain how the pipeline will affect you, personally. Help them understand the human toll associated with the pipeline.
- Find out what they know – if you speak with them in person or over the phone, ask open ended questions. What do you think about…_______
- Find out what specifically they will be doing to keep the community safe
- Express your concerns or frustrations and find out how they can help.
- If have done research or discussed the issues with others share your knowledge/understanding. Statistics, reports, industry information or dramatic video clips may be helpful.
- Ask about how other cities have addressed this issue.